Monday, November 5, 2018

ACTS OF LEVITATION

download

My Hair Is On Fire

(excerpt)
ACTS OF LEVITATION

Boats on the lake tip toeing. The tightrope across the horizon.

Rubens women in pieces. Locked in 3rd floor rooms. Shaking their keys at me.

Long drive. 2 lanes of asphalt. The flats on the way to the sea. Pools of water where a family of raccoons have drowned.

The Queen is on every quarter. Shaking them at me.

The British wore red coats. The French were dressed in blue. Omar Khadr killed an enemy soldier. Ten years in Gauntamano Bay for not wearing the correct colours.

Gone to the racetrack, picking my losers. Fillies. Shaking their fists at me.

In the cold ground justice has a simple rule. Saints and tyrants. Shrews and Secretaries of State. Bow before the emperor worm.

Sunday at the beach. Performing various forms of levitation. I was vertical. The beautiful girls showed me a new trick. They looked right through me. Some days I think I'd have been better off staying in bed. A blind man dances, his cane in his hand, shaking it at me.

No comments: