Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Jonas

When I first me her she was beautiful. Everyone thought so. And we were in love. Or so she kept telling me. I never knew what love was. Something poets make up to sell Hallmark cards and flowers. Just another business. Someone with their hand out.

Kimberly was from a fine family. They did not approve of me although they hardly knew me. If they had known more about me, their opinion would have been more justified.

We met at a company Christmas party. She'd had a little too much to drink. And I hadn't enough. I fucked her outside the banquet hall in a snow drift.

About a month passed. Then Kim started to call me. One day I found her standing at my office door. She looked beautiful. I told her to come in and have a seat. I closed the door behind her and as I passed behind her I drew my finger along her shoulder. She had the most exquisite skin. I could feel my trousers tightening.

I leaned back in my chair.

“I was going to call you,” I said.

“I'm pregnant,” she replied.

I rocked back and forth in my chair. Still smiling. What the fuck does she want from me?

“Congratulations,” I said.

“It's yours,” she said.

“Why don't we talk about it over dinner.”

We moved in together. Marriage was discussed. As was abortion. I didn't have the stomach for either. Kimberly got into the whole domestic thing. Fixing up the apartment. Inviting friends over. Hers. I had few friends except for the guys I played hocked with on Friday nights. I still dated other women. Kimberly didn't seem to notice. But then she got needy. She had started to show. And nag. I don't remember the first time I hit her.

One day I got home and her brother Scott was at the door. He beat the crap out of me. I deserved it. No doubt about it. I arranged for Kimberly to get an abortion. And gave her cab fare. Before she left, she turned and spoke to me.

“You really are a scoundrel.”

I shrugged my shoulders.

......................................from my ebook 'Domestic Violence'


No comments: