Saturday, May 2, 2020

My Father

My father was the kindest of men. He lived near the plant so that he could be home
early, so that he could unplug the eaves troughs, so that he could reinvent the basement
in a dream he had of paradise, so that he could hold my mother. The plant made
tires, with a ceiling just over eight feet, crowded with heat and the stench of hot
rubber. For forty years he worked there so that he could come home, pick up my head
or my sister’s, and toss it in the sky like a ball. And he would laugh. But his face was
so distant. Like he was watching me and my sister from a great distance. Like he was
living on borrowed time. Like he was trying to store up his memories, making home
movies in his head. Looking over his shoulder. Wondering when it was coming. And
then it came. And father lay half in and half out of his bed in his underwear. He lay
there cold and distant like he always had. A mystery. Love in a brief glimpse.
...........................................download Hard Brush Soft Paint
 
 

No comments: