Thursday, September 30, 2010

Crowd Noises

Crowd Noises is a book that I wrote over 40 years ago. Hard to believe. Its just as fresh and believable today as... What does that mean? A book being fresh. It used to be that in the 50s and 60s they had these terrible cliche expressions for movies. Well in the late 20th and early 21st century books have adopted those tired and wearisome generalities. STOP. Back to the book. Crowd Noises was a chapbook put out by Killaley Press in Hamilton Canada. Its the only chapbook I ever had published. Many of my colleagues at the time had dozens published. It was cheap. And it made you feel that you had a career. I didn't feel that way. Maybe I should have published more. But I always thought the idea of writing was to be read. In the art scene at the time (I'm sure its the same today) there are more writers than readers. Its a scene that gives the impression of contributing to the general culture. It was just a lot of young sensitive and mostly talented people holding each other's hand in the dark. And frightened out of their minds.

No comments: